June has arrived, it is officially summer here in the UK. The sky is blue today and with the blue sky comes bright light that highlights the many shades of green that make up our current view. Left is green, to my right is green, green is my happy colour. I can here the lambs calling to their mother’s, the birds tweeting to each other, and if we are lucky, the tiny squeaking of the newest members to the canal – 7 little signets. Our little floating home is like an observatory into the wonders of nature. Life is good.
I bring this post with a huge dollop of excitement! Whilst this was slowly roasting in the oven, I could smell the faint, sweet wafts of gentle rose, I couldn’t wait to dig in. I am very much pro granola, remember this awesome oat-y bowl? Or this one? As I am sure you are aware, dear readers, I am passionate about using organic produce. My recent experience of a night with other organic food lovers only cemented what an important thing it is. Wake Up To Organic has already launched, in partnership with Soil Association and The Organic Trade Board, and is gearing up for a nationwide event on June 15th 2016. Independent retailers across the UK will be hosting #WakeuptoOrganic events serving up breakfasts, hosting blogger demos, and visits with visits from local suppliers and producers. I was keen to get on board and be part of encouraging people to eat more organic produce. Wild Oats are taking part and you can find all the ingredients to this recipe in the store. You can also pick up a recipe card to take home with you, so you can get making this awesome granola. Head over there on June 15th to see how they’re spreading the organic love!
Eating organic doesn’t have to cost a fortune. How about swapping your daily latte for a packet of organic flour? Ditch that weekly takeaway and go and stock up on a basket of organic veg. This rose and pistachio granola recipe is low cost, and will make satisfy many a grumbling belly. Slow roasted oats, nuts and rose petals, coming to a bowl near you! Happy organic summer pals!
- 4 cups (360g) organic oats
- ½ cup (75g) organic almonds - roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup (50g) organic sunflower seeds
- Small handful organic dried rose petals - ripped/ chopped in half
- ½ teaspoon organic ground ginger
- ¾ cup (180ml) organic coconut oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) organic maple syrup
- t teaspoon organic rose water
- ¾ cup (110g) organic pistachios
- Pre-heat your oven to Gas 2 / 150 C and line a baking tray with greaseproof / parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your oats, chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, rose petals and ground ginger. Mix it well with a large spoon.
- Heat a small saucepan over a low heat. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup and rose water. Whisk it and take it off the heat as soon as the coconut oil has melted.
- Pour the oil mix over the oat mix. Stir it well with your spoon and make sure the liquid coats all the oats.
- Spread the granola mix evenly onto your baking tray.
- Bake for 30 mins, stirring it after 20 minutes.
- After 30 mins, add in your pistachios, and bake for 10 more minutes.