Every year, when the seasons shift, I get all excited. Don’t get me wrong, I love the summer, I love the heat, I love long, light evenings in the garden. But dang, I do love autumn. The temperature fell a few degrees this last week. Sunny, chilly mornings greeted me. Crisp, fresh air, chilling my hands. Time to pull out my winter coat and big snuggly scarf. The days are shorter, which I do find a struggle, and it’s harder to get up in the mornings with this new darkness, but these orange-y hues and red leaves paint the landscapes so well, it makes it worth it. Nature giving it one last hurrah before they shed their years bounty. Autumn, it’s good to see you.
With Autumn comes a new season of foods. Orchards bursting with apples, hedgerow brambles have those juicy purple blackberries, sloes are out tempting me to make some sloe gin, but mostly; pumpkin. Pumpkins in all shapes and sizes, squash variations a plenty, oh yes you lovely orange football of goodness, I’ve missed you.
Last year, on a trip to NYC, I discovered Trader Joes, and went a little crazy buying things to bring back. Pumpkin spice mix was in my basket, and I couldn’t wait to use it. I’ve been using it sparingly. trying to make it last, and am down to my last few tablespoons, but this recipe deserved my treasured spice mix. Because it’s Autumn, and in Autumn we pumpkin spice! Pumpkin Spice Bliss Balls to be precise. I’ve been meaning to make more energy balls since this lot, but never got round to it. I whipped up a batch of these over the weekend and have had to hide the tub from myself, I just want to eat them all. Here’s to a happy season!
- 90g / 1 cup rolled oats
- 300g / 1½ cup cooked and mashed pumpkin / pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice mix (OR ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon / ½ ground ginger / pinch nutmeg / ¼ all spice)
- Hemp seeds + extra oats to roll balls in
- Place the oats into a food processor and blend into a rough flour
- Add in all other ingredients and pulse until fully combined
- Mould into balls with your hands
- If using, roll in oats / hemp seeds.
Like bliss balls? Check out these awesome recipes: