I have had a fantastic, yet mad, couple of weeks. The first of which saw my mum and I travelling up to London to attend the Soil Association BOOM Awards, where I (and this dear blog of mine) were shortlisted for the Best Food Blog award. I was in total shock when I found out I had made it into the top ten, with 9 other fantastic foodies. It was a fantastic event, taking place in Borough Market and a huge amount of effort had gone into making the place a foodies dream. When we arrived we found out that I was in fact down to the final 3, which was incredible! I was so honoured that my little blog had made it to the awards with so many other amazing organic brands. Huge congratulations go out to everyone nominated, and of course to all the winners!
This weekend saw me heading up to Birmingham for the FLEA Enterprises #BlogCamp2016. Blog Camp is like a conference / learning day for food / parent / interiors and travel bloggers. There were about 200 of us there, including around 15 of my food blogger friends. I have met so many wonderful people because of Rough Measures, and it was fab to catch up with some of them. The day was filled with talks on food styling, Pinterest tips, stories from some top bloggers, writing workshops and more. I have come away with a head full of information!
Last week saw some sunshine, and I got all excited and wanted to make a salad with flavours that take me back to my time spent travelling Asia. Something like this Asian kale salad, with my favourite ginger dressing. The strong tastes of ginger and umami flavours make my mouth and belly happy. The crunch of the massaged kale and carrot keep the textures strong here. I haven’t enjoyed a salad this much since this one I made last year! Enjoy pals, and stay dry (apparently the British summer lasted all of 3 days!)
- Big bunch of kale - washed, de-stemmed and leaves loosely shredded
- ¼ red cabbage - shredded
- 1 carrot - peeled into thin strips
- 2 spring onions - finely chopped
- Zest 1 lime
- Handful peanuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- FOR THE DRESSING
- A thumb sized piece of ginger - peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup tamari (sub for soy sauce if you don't have tamari)
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- Juice 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- Get all your ingredients ready.
- Start with the dressing; in a large bowl, add the grated ginger and garlic.
- Add in the rest of the dressing ingredients, give it a really good whisk. Pour the dressing into a sealable jar, leaving around 50ml left in the bowl.
- Add your shredded kale into the bowl. Using your fingers, massage the kale into the dressing. Do this for a couple of minutes until all the kale has been coated.
- Throw the cabbage, carrot and spring onions into the bowl, and mix with your hands.
- Toss through the peanuts and sesame seeds, serve into a large salad bowl.
- Add more dressing if you wish!
Want to Pin this recipe for later? Use the image below – you can follow me on Pinterest too!